This breakfast definitely takes some time to make but it's worth the wait. I enjoyed mine with a cup of bitter black coffee. Bliss....
(makes 2 - 9x5 loaves; or 12 muffin-sized cakes)
8oz all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
4oz salted butter, softened (or add 1/2 tsp salt if using unsalted)
5oz molasses sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large and ripe bananas
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4oz walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
4oz raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with milk and vanilla essence. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until well mixed. Add salt if neccessary.
5. Add in the eggs and beat in well.
6. Add walnuts, banana-milk mixture and raisins. Mix well.
7. Add flour mixture and fold until no more white floury bits are seen.
8. Divide batter into prepared vessels.
9. Bake 55-60 minutes for the loaves or 25-30 minutes for the muffins. Use the tooth-pick test for doneness.
10. Let cool on the rack for as long as it takes not to burn your fingers. 11. Eat!